NoxiVol from CTD Sports is a pre-workout supplement in tablet form designed to give you the vascular pump effect during your workout. The company also promotes its lactic acid reducing properties, helpful for reducing the muscle soreness a heavy workout can bring on.
The CTD website has a clean looking design and you’ll find a range of products under the brand name, all of which have been developed to support strength and athletic gains from regular exercise and healthy nutrition.
The big keywords they are promoting with NoxiVol are Endurance and Strength Enhancing Vasodilator. That covers a lot of ground, but the basic idea is to increase blood flow to the working muscles, reduce lactic acid and support the healthy function of ligaments and joints.
An interesting observation is that for a tablet-based supplement, the dose appears to be quite heavy. Not surprising considering they recommend that you take 8 pills a day split into two doses of 4.
How Does NoxiVol Work?
Vasodilators generally use nitric oxide boosters to cause the dilation, or widening, of the blood vessels in the user’s body in order to increase the potential volume of circulating blood.
The theory is that the working muscles will therefore benefit from a higher flow of nutrients and oxygen, thus providing them with more fuel to keep going for longer. This ability of NO boosters to improve muscle endurance is typically well documented, though there should of course be a simultaneous rise in nutritional intake for the benefit to be fully experienced.
The supplement employs several pre-cursors to nitric oxide which then further interacts with other processes in the body, leading to the relaxation of smooth muscles around the blood vessels. This allows the blood vessels to widen.
NoxiVol also contains a suite of ingredients under the heading Nitric Support Matrix. These have a variety of impacts on the body including pain control and obesity prevention. The ingredients are explained briefly below.
There are two separate proprietary blends in the total formula:
NoxiVol blend: 6250mg (from 8 tabs a day)
- L-Arginine Alpha Keto-Glutarate (AKG): this is a modified form of the well known nitric-oxide pre-cursor Arginine. AKG is the primary vasodilator ingredient
- Beta Alanine: acts as a pH buffer, preventing too much lactic acid build-up and increases muscle endurance. Can induce a tingly effect known as paraesthesia but it’s nothing to worry about and probably won’t happen with the dosage in NoxiVol
- L-Ornithine HCL: goes great with AKG. It can reduce ammonia levels in the blood and therefore prolong exercise endurance
- Cissus Quadrangularis: promising ingredient for joint and bone health. Fat loss may also be a benefit though the evidence is less concrete
- L-Histidine: a conditionally essential amino acid, Histidine helps prevent injury and contributes a healthy immune system
- L-Norvaline: indirectly increases vasodilation by protecting arginine. It is an analog of the BCAA Valine
Nitric Support Matrix: 130mg (from 8 caps a day)
- Alpha-GPC: has many functions, but is primarily the pre-cursor to choline – a principal neurotransmitter. At higher doses can help cognitive performance and even mind-muscle connection (mental drive) in the gym.
- Rutaecarpine: amongst other things, this may provide some level of pain relief, but there’s speculation in respected forums as to why it’s included in anything. It purges caffeine from your system and may inhibit some level of Nitric Oxide though this is conjecture.
- Vanadyl sulphate/sulfate: may help reduce fat by mimicking insulin
Note: on the NoxiVol product there are two different areas to view the ingredients and they give different inclusion weights of what is inside the tablets. We based the above on what the actual product label says.
Side Effects and Safety
Definitely follow the instructions on the packaging. NoxiVol contains ingredients which should not be taken alongside prescription medication. Consult your doctor if you are unsure or suffer from an existing condition. The use of this product by pregnant or breastfeeding women is not advised.
Most of the ingredients have been well tolerated in studies, but go by the guidelines and there should be no cause for concern about side effects and so on.
Conclusion and Recommendations
The advantages of vasodilation are numerous as long as it works as expected and the increased requirement for nutrients and oxygen are met. It’s a bit pointless widening the tunnel if the traffic volume is going to remain the same.
There may be a muscle pump effect in the gym, but the effect on endurance within each set is more important even if it is less visible. Joint health and pain reduction seem to be the fringe benefits of NoxiVol, and you can’t rule out a bit of fat burning. How much is up to you’ remember most of your success is down to your diet and exercise plan.
It would have been interesting to see what this product could do with Citrulline Malate as well as the AKG. By most accounts Citrulline Malate is better than arginine itself at raising NO levels.
One of our favourite Nitric Oxide boosters, which actually has Citrulline Malate in the ingredient list, is Nitrocut. It’s available for shipment worldwide at some excellent prices. Follow the link below to read our full review of Nitrocut.