Vega Sport Performance Protein is part of a vegan-friendly range of sports supplements developed by the Canadian endurance athlete Brendan Brazier.
Brazier is a vegan himself so he is well aware of the dietary restrictions the vegan lifestyle requires and, as a former pro ironman, triathlon, and ultra-marathon runner, he should know a thing or two about attaining superior levels of strength and fitness while living on a plant-based diet.
Performance Protein comes in a choice of three flavors (vanilla, chocolate and berry) and each (1.2 oz.) scoop provides a generous 26g of protein. That’s considerably more than many competing blends offer so, as far as protein content goes, it’s hard to knock Performance Protein because it has a lot of potential.
Main Benefits and Selling Points
- 5,000 mg BCAAs
- 5,000 mg Glutamine
- Improves performance
- Maintains strength during workouts
- Increases muscle protein synthesis
- Assists muscle cell repair after exercise
- Reduces inflammation, soreness and fatigue (after training)
- Reduces length of recovery between training sessions
- Provides immune system support following exercise
Vega Sport Performance Protein Pros & Cons at a Glance
A (1.2 oz.) scoop should be taken 30 to 90 minutes prior to a workout and extra scoops can be taken if required throughout the day. Vega sport say better results can be achieved by using Performance Protein alongside their Recovery Accelerator, but many users may wish to avoid the additional expense because Vega Sport products are not the cheapest supplements on the market.
- SaviSeed: Also known as the Inca peanut, the Peruvian SaviSeed (Sacha inchi) has been used as a food source for many thousands of years. SaviSeed is high in fiber and protein, a good source of omega 3, and offers the further benefit of being gluten free.
Contains Yellow Pea, Saviseed, Sprouted Raw Brown Rice, Hemp, Alfalfa) + BCAA stack, L-Glutamine and infused with a digestive enzyme blend for maximum assimilation!
The use of Performance Protein is unlikely to result in any negative health issues, but as with any form of supplementation it is always advisable for pregnant and nursing mothers to seek medical advice prior to use. People who have existing health issues or who are taking any form of medication should also consult their doctor before commencing supplementation or pursing any new health and fitness goals.
Independent feedback is available and most users give Performance Protein a five star thumbs up.
Pricing & Availability
The Vega Sport online store offers several purchasing options:
- One Tub (829g) for $64.99
- Box of 12 (single serving) sachets for $41.99
- One (single serving) sachet for $3.49
Performance Protein is obviously a quality product, but it’s a long way from being a budget option.
Like all Vega Sports products, Performance protein can also be found on the shelves of retail outlets and behind the counter of gyms all over the world. It is also available from an abundance of online retail outlets and from Amazon, but although slight savings can be secured by a little shopping around prices are predominantly high.